BBQ Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Danger

BBQ Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Danger

Half the UK plans on having on average of five BBQ’s with their family and friends this summer. Gas Safe Register has issued a strong reminder for households to be aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning especially those organising a BBQ this summer. Carbon monoxide gas (CO gas) is known as the ‘silent killer’ as it does not have colour, taste or smell and in some cases can be fatal.

Research has shown that most people do not even realise carbon monoxide poisoning is a potential danger when organising a BBQ. In fact, carbon monoxide poisoning was found to be just slightly ahead of damaging the garden or plants as a danger of having a BBQ!

BBQ safety tips:

  • Never use a bbq indoors.
  • Don’t take a lit or smouldering bbq inside a cabin, caravan or tent.
  • Always ensure you can see your bbq & don’t leave it lit while you are sleeping.
  • Follow the bbq manufacturers instructions when operating.
  • Be aware of any signs of CO poisoning. Symptoms can include headaches, nausea, dizziness, breathlessness and also loss of consciousness.

If you suspect that anyone is displaying signs of carbon monoxide poisoning, get away from the bbq and call 999 straight away.

Gas Safety Advice

  • It is always strongly recommended to only ever use a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer for any gas work in your home. You can find a local Gas Safe engineer by calling the Gas Safe Register on 0800 408 5500.
  • Every registered Gas Safe engineer carries an ID card. Always ask to see the ID card. The back of the Gas Safe engineers ID card shows which gas appliances your gas engineer is qualified to work on.
  • If you start smelling gas in your home or workplace call the free 24-hour gas emergency number immediately on 0800 111 999.
  • The official Gas Safe Register is the UK’s only list of gas engineers who are registered to work legally & safely on boilers, cookers, fires and/or any other gas appliances.
  • By law, all UK gas engineers must be registered on the Gas Safe Register.
For more information about carbon monoxide poising and bbq safety, or if you happen to have any questions, please do not hesitate to give our team a call on one of our local numbers below:-

Newton Le Willows Central Heating Engineers 01925 394260
Wigan Central Heating Engineers 01942 417220
Warrington Central Heating Engineers 01925 394260
St Helens Central Heating Engineers 01744 776140
Runcorn Central Heating Engineers 01925 394260
Widnes Central Heating Engineers 01925 394260

Comments are closed.
Call Now Button